User menu

Heritage Rolling Stock

Coach 7 Coach 7
Van 23 Van 23

Carriages 5, 7, 11, 16 & 17

Original 50-seat L&BR 3rd Observation carriage No. 7. Built 1898 at Bristol Wagon & Carriage Works - owned by the L&BR Trust. Although delivered to Woody Bay as a static exhibit in the early days of operation, lacking bogies and suitable couplings and having no brakes it could not be used in a train. Eventually it was decided to move the vehicle to Essex where its restoration could continue.

This vehicle returned to Woody Bay in April 2013, along with brake composite carriage No.17. These two carriages were joined by third brake No.16 in September 2013. No.11 - a seven-compartment arrived 22nd April 2015 and finally Carriage No.5 arrived in August 2019.

These magnificent heritage carriages are used for all our passenger service trains.

Coach 7 at Woody Bay Inside Coach 7

As delivered.

Undergoing further restoration in Essex in 2010

Van 23

Original L&BR Bogie Brake Van no. 23. Built 1908 by the L&BR at Pilton Bridge. owned by the L&B Trust and restored by Bristol Group volunteers. Now sitting on its own bogies for the first time in over 70 years, the van is currently awaiting fitting of brakes and couplings.

This vehicle left Woody Bay in November 2013, for renovation, repainting and the fitting of a metal underframe to make it suitable for use on the modern L&B. Currently it is not known when it will re-enter service.

Van 23 in the Woody Bay loading dock

Heritage Vehicles

The L&BR Trust are also actively rebuilding other vehicles. For more details about the heritage carriage project Click here to go to the Heritage Vehicle Project Page.

Corporate Supporters - Where to Stay

The Denes Fox and Goose Highfield House Lynton Cottage Moorlands North Cliff Sinai House